Ballot qualifying has produced at least three party defections for Georgia Democrats.
Democratic District Attorneys Cathy Helms, Bob Lavender and Paul Bowden have all filed for reelection as Republicans, according to qualifying reports from the Secretary of State’s office.
UPDATE: Today’s bloodletting continues for rural Peach State Democrats. A host of local officials have jumped parties in Franklin, Hart and Stephens counties, boosting today’s defection rate to at least 10.
The following Democratic pols all qualified Wednesday for reelection as Republicans:
- DA Cathy Helms of Homerville (Alapaha Judicial Circuit)
- DA Bob Lavender of Elberton (Northern Judicial Circuit)
- DA Paul Bowden of Tifton (Tift Judicial Circuit)
- Franklin County Sheriff Stevie Thomas
- Franklin County Clerk of Court Missy Holbrook
- Franklin County Board of Education Member Joe Greene
- Hart County Clerk of Court Frankie Gray
- Hart County Commissioner Joey Dorsey
- Stephens County Sheriff Randy Shirley
- Stephens County Coroner Chris Stephens
- James Richardson